Recent conversations with executives close to the GLEIF (Global Legal Entity Identification Foundation) revealed an underlying conflict in the creation of the LEI database. The LEI registration process and data collection activities are being optimized for three constituencies: the regulators, the registrants, and the Local Operating Units (LOUs). However, a fourth constituency, equal in importance to the other three, has been ignored. These are non-regulatory data consumers who are ultimately the users of the LEI. Unless the data can be widely utilized for purposes other than transaction reporting, the vision of a ubiquitous LEI solving a broad range of financial market problems will not be realized.
Subscribe to Alacra Blog
- LEI update – uptake of LEIs remains slow October 5, 2016
- Easy-access regulatory reference library launched by Alacra September 26, 2016
- Opus Appoints CEO September 6, 2016
- Steve Goldstein talks Brexit and FinTech with Forbes July 28, 2016
- Clean data demand holds back Mifid II – Alacra in Euromoney July 18, 2016